dinsdag 22 februari 2011

Het kwintet van Santa Montefiore

Each of these novels has inspired me in my own writing.  They are all great examples of how character is the most important thing in a novel.  Their characters are totally believeable - and live on long after you have turned the last page.

Love in The Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez made a big impression of me when I was writing my first novel, Meet Me Under The Ombu Tree.  A sensual writer, Marquez taught me how to create a sense of place through sound and smell.  In his novel I could literally smell the orange blossom and lavender and feel the humidity on my skin.  I really believed I was there.
 
Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whislestop Cafe by Fannie Flagg.  I just love the eccentric characters, especially Mrs Threadgood.  Flagg is a querky writer with a delightful sense of humour.  I re read this when I was writing my second novel and wanted to include a chorus of eccentric old ladies.  I loved the eccentric tone of the book.
 
The Count of Montecristo by Alexandre Dumas, what a delightful romantic classic.  A tale of love and revenge that I simply couldn't put down.  I would love to spend years writing an epic like this, but would never have the patience - or the plot!  It is never dull and full of twists and turns.  I loved the magic, which was cleverly crafted as I always believed in his world.  A truly satisfactory plot. 
 
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is one of the best and most tragic love storites ever written.  It's epic in size and so detailed, but I was never bored because the characters are so fascinating.  
 
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is a beautifully written and charming portrait daily life in 18th Century England.  I love all Austen's novels because I adore looking through a window into that time, but this one is probably my favourite.  The characters are wonderful and complicated.  She's especially good at annoying old women! 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten